Making a complaint

Manchester Medical aims to give a friendly and professional service to all our patients. However, if you have any concerns about any aspect of our service, please let us know so we can try to resolve the problem quickly. Speak to whomever you feel most comfortable – your GP, one of the managers, or our reception staff will be happy to help. However, sometimes you may wish to make a formal complaint. When you make a formal complaint Manchester Medical will aim to:

  • Find out what happened and what went wrong
  • Make it possible for you to discuss the problem with those concerned, if you would like this
  • Make sure you receive an apology, where appropriate
  • Identify what we can do to make sure the problem doesn’t happen again

Our complaints procedure is part of the NHS system and meets national requirements.

How to complain

We would like you to let us know about your complaint as soon as possible – ideally within a matter of days – because this will enable us to establish what happened more easily. It may not be possible to investigate your complaint if you do not contact us within 12 months of the incident that caused the problem; or within 12 months of discovering that you have a problem.

Please write to Mrs Mandy Bruder, Complaints Manager. Alternatively, you may wish to make an appointment with Mandy Bruder in order to discuss your concerns. We may be able to book an interpreter if required.

What will happen next?

We will acknowledge your complaint (within three working days) and then investigate what has happened. We will then aim to respond to you in writing within four weeks of the date that we received your complaint.

Sometimes we may ask you to meet with us, or contact you to find out more information about the circumstances. If you would like to meet to discuss your concerns, please let us know.

Complaining on behalf of someone else

Please note that we keep strictly to the rules of medical confidentiality. If you are complaining on behalf of someone else we will need to know that you have their permission.

A note signed by the person concerned will be needed, unless they are incapable (because of illness) of providing this.


Help to complain

If you would like free, confidential advice to help you make a complaint you may wish to contact the Independent NHS Complaints Advocacy (ICA) for Manchester.  You can contact them by phone 0161 214 3904, email, or post Gaddum Centre, 6 Great Jackson Street, Manchester, M15 4AX and view their website.

You may also contact NHS England who are responsible for the commissioning of GP services. They can be contacted on 0300 311 2233, email or post PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT

If you are not satisfied

If you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint please let us know. If you feel that you cannot approach us or if you are not satisfied with the final outcome of our investigation then you can approach the Health Service Ombudsman and ask them to look into your complaint. The Health Service Ombudsman is responsible for ensuring that NHS complaints are dealt with properly. The Ombudsman will usually investigate a complaint only after it has already been addressed locally.

You can write to “The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London, SW1P 4QP” or telephone on 0345 015 4033 (8.30 am – 5.30 pm).

For more information, please see the Ombudsman’s website.